Thomas Gallagher, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine and Medical History & Ethics, University of Washington School of Medicine
Attending Physician, UWMC - Roosevelt, General Internal
Medicine Center, Division of General Internal Medicine
Department of Medicine
Seattle WA 98105
Email Address: email@example.com
Education: Dr. Gallagher attended medical school at Harvard University, graduating in 1990. He completed his residency in internal medicine at Barnes Hospital, Washington University, St. Louis (1990-1993) as well as a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco from 1993-1995.
Area of Expertise: Dr. Gallagher’s research explores ethical and communication issues in conflicts of interest and research ethics, particularly as they relate to patient safety and error disclosure. He has a long track record in this area of expertise and, in addition to collaborating on this project, is currently working on multiple research projects. One project is to study the effects of training doctors to disclose unanticipated outcomes to patients (funded by AHRQ). Another, funded by the National Cancer Institute, explores effective communication to prevent and respond to adverse oncology events. Dr. Gallagher has published over 30 articles on disclosure and patient safety, which have appeared in leading journals including JAMA, New England Journal of Medicine, Surgery, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Archives of Internal Medicine, Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, and the Joint Commission Journal.
Publications of Interest:
- Robins L, Brock D, Gallagher TH, Kartin D, Lindhorst T, Odegard P, Morton T, Belza B. (2008). Piloting team simulations to assess interprofessional skills. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 22:325-328. doi:10.1080/13561820801886438
- Gallagher TH, Studdert D, Levinson W. (2007). Disclosing harmful medical errors to patients. New England Journal of Medicine, Jun 28;356(26):2713-9. doi:10.1056/NEJMra070568
- Gallagher TH, Garbutt JM, Waterman AD, Flum DR, Larsen EB, Waterman BM, Dunagan WC, Fraser VJ, Levinson W. (2006). Choosing your words carefully: How physicians would disclose harmful errors to patients. Archives of Internal Medicine, 166:1585-1593. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.15.1585
- Gallagher TH, Waterman A, Garbutt J, Krygiel J, Chan D, Dunagan WC, Fraser V, Levinson W. (2006). US and Canadian physicians’ attitudes towards patient safety and error disclosure. Archives of Internal Medicine, 166:1605-1611. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.15.1605
- Jeffe DB, Dunagan WC, Garbutt J, Burroughs TE, Gallagher TH, Hill PR, Harris CB, Bommarito K, Fraser, VJ. (2004). Physicians’ and nurses’ perspectives on error reporting in hospitals. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Safety, 30:471-479. PMID: 15469124
- Gallagher TH, Waterman A, Ebers A, Fraser V, Levinson W. (2003). Patients’ and physicians’ attitudes towards the disclosure of medical errors. JAMA, 289:1001-1007. doi:10.1001/jama.289.8.1001
- Gallagher TH, Pantilat SZ, Papadakis M, Lo B. (1999). Teaching medical students to discuss advance directives: A standardized patient curriculum. Teaching and Learning in Medicine, 11(3):142-147. doi:10.1207/S15328015TL110304
Other article listed below:
- Gallagher TH, Levinson W. Disclosing harmful medical errors to patients: A call for professional action. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2005;165:1819-1824.
- Chan D, Gallagher TH, Reznick R, Levinson W. How surgeons disclose medical errors: A study using standardized patients. Surgery, 2005;138:851-8.
- Waterman AD, Gallagher TH, Garbutt J, Waterman BM, Dunagan WC, Fraser V, Burroughs TE. Hospitalized patients’ attitudes about and participation in error prevention. J Gen Intern Med, 2006;21:367-370.
- Gallagher TH, Waterman A, Garbutt J, Krygiel J, Chan D, Dunagan WC, Fraser V, Levinson W. US and Canadian Physicians’ Attitudes Towards Patient Safety and Error Disclosure. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1605-1611.
- Gallagher TH, Brundage G, Bommarito KM, Summy EA, Ebers AG, Waterman AD, Fraser VJ, Dunagan WC. Risk managers’ attitudes and experiences regarding patient safety and error disclosure: A national survey. Journal of Healthcare Risk Management. 2006;26:11-16.
- Garbutt JM, Brownstein DR, Klein EJ, Waterman AD, Krauss MJ, Marcuse EK, Hazel E, Dunagan WC, Fraser VJ, Gallagher TH. Reporting and disclosing medical errors; pediatricians’ attitudes and behaviors. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine. 2007;161:179-185.
- Burroughs TE, Gallagher TH, Waterman AD et al. Patients’ concerns about medical errors during hospitalization. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Safety, 2007;33:5-14
- Surbonne AS, Rowe M, Gallagher TH. Confronting medical errors in oncology and disclosing them to cancer patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2007;12:1463-1467.
- Gallagher TH, Studdert DM, Levinson W. Disclosing harmful medical errors to patients. N Engl J Med 2007;356:2713-9.
- Waterman AD, Garbutt JM, Kapp JM, Hazel E, Dunagan WC, Levinson W, Fraser V, Gallagher TH. How Medical Errors Affect Physicians’ Occupational Stress. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Safety 2007;33:467-476.
- Levinson W, Gallagher TH. Disclosing medical errors to patients: A status report in 2007. CMAJ 2007;177(3)265-267.
- Gallagher TH, Denham C, Leape L, Amori G, Levinson W. Disclosing unanticipated outcomes to patients: The art and practice. J Patient Safety 2007;3:158-165.
- Garbutt JM, Waterman AD, Krygiel Kapp JM, Hazel E, Dunagan WC, Levinson W, Fraser V, Gallagher TH. Lost Opportunities: Physicians’ experiences and suggestions for communicating information about errors to improve patient safety. Health Affairs 2008;27:246-255.
- White AA, Gallagher TH, Garbutt J et al. The attitudes and experiences of trainees regarding disclosing medical errors to patients. Academic Medicine 2008;83:250-256.
- Loren DJ, Klein EJ, Garbutt J, Krauss MJ, Fraser V, Dunagan WC, Brownstein DR, Gallagher TH. Medical error disclosure among pediatricians: Choosing carefully what we might say. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine 2008;162:922-927.
- White AA, Waterman, AD, McCotter P, Boyle DJ, Gallagher TH. Supporting healthcare workers after medical error: Considerations for healthcare leaders. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management 2008;15:240-247.
- Robins L, Brock D, Gallagher TH, Kartin D, Lindhorst T, Odegard P, Morton T, Belza B. Piloting team simulations to assess interprofessional skills. Journal of Interprofessional Care 2008;22:325-328.
- Shannon SE, Hardy M, Foglia MB, Gallagher TH. Disclosing errors to patients: Perspectives of registered nurses. Joint Commission Journal of Quality and Patient Safety 2008:35:5-12.
- Gallagher TH. Clinical Crossroads: A 62 year-old woman with skin cancer who experienced wrong site surgery. JAMA. 2009;302(6):669-677.
- Dintzis S, Gallagher TH. Disclosing harmful pathology errors to patients. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2009;131:463-465.
- Carney PA, Kettler M, Cook AJ, Geller BM, Karliner L, Miglioretti DL, Bowles EA, Buist DS, Gallagher TH, Elmore JG. An assessment of the likelihood, frequency, and content of verbal communication between radiologists and women receiving screening and diagnostic mammography. Academic Radiology. 2009;16(9):1056-1063.
- Odegard PS, Robins L, Murphy N, Belza B, Brock D, Gallagher TH, Lindhorst T, Morton T, Schaad D, Mitchell P. Interprofessional initiatives at the University of Washington. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2009;73(45):63.
- Gallagher TH, Bell SK, Smith KM, Mello MM, McDonald TB. Disclosing harmful medical errors to patients: Tackling three tough cases. CHEST 2009;136:897-903.
- Gallagher TH, Cook A, Brenner RJ, Carney P, Miglioretti, Geller B, Kerlikowske K, Onega T, Rosenberg R, Yankaskas C, Elmore J. Disclosing harmful mammography errors to patients. Radiology. 2009;253:443-452.