WWAMI AHEC Scholars Program
An interprofessional certificate program emphasizing a team-based approach to addressing health disparities
The Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho (WWAMI) AHEC Scholars is an interprofessional and nationally recognized certificate program that emphasizes a team-based approach to addressing health disparities. This two-year program can be completed at no cost, complements your existing coursework and provides you with an agile skill set needed to lead health care transformation in rural and urban underserved environments.
Faculty from the UW School of Medicine teamed up with the Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho (WWAMI) Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Program Office and its regional Centers in Washington and Idaho to develop a program, which emphasizes interprofessional and experiential learning. AHEC is a large federal health care training organization with specific expertise in underserved and rural health care.
In this two-year program, students can expect to participate in the following experiences:
- Participate in two Interprofessional courses (6 early evening sessions per academic year; online modules with ZOOM meetings option is also available). 1 credit option or no-cost no-credit option available. P/F grading.
- Topics cover:
- Practice transformation in team-based underserved settings
- Behavioral health integration
- Rural health
- Health Equity
- Other emerging topics in underserved care
- Take a field trip to an urban underserved or rural health care setting
- Community/experiential/community training through a community project or service learning (but could also easily be completed via your program’s clinical component.)
- Take part in a networking event with potential employers
To learn more, visit their website at http://depts.washington.edu/ahec/.
The WWAMI AHEC Scholars program is currently taking applications for the 2018 school year. Questions? Please contact AHEC Associate Director, Stacey Morrison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please go to http://depts.washington.edu/ahec/wwami-ahec-scholars-program/.