This module outlines the general progression of heart failure and identifies points in that progression when the patient and provider must discuss goals of care. These conversations are often difficult. The module presents strategies to address barriers and other challenges.
This online presentation includes audio, demonstrations, instructional methods, and examples.
Authors: Cynthia Dougherty, PhD, ARNP, FAHA, FAAN
Audience: Clinicians, Students, Clinical Instructors
Run time: Approximately 15 minutes
Upon completing Part 1 of this module, the learner will be able to…
1. Define advanced heart failure (HF), goals of care discussion, and shared decision making.
2. Outline the trajectory of HF illness and anticipated decision points.
3. Identify triggers for goals of care conversations.
4. Recognize potential barriers to patient-provider communication in advanced HF.
Upon completing Part 2 of this module, the learner will be able to…
1. Describe components of goals of care conversation.
2. Discuss strategies for eliciting patient centered goals that can direct cardiovascular care.
3. Recognize and plan for difficult elements of goals of care conversations.