This lesson covers the screening examination for lower extremity deep vein thrombosis, or DVT, by compression ultrasound. The screening examination described in this presentation is designed to detect proximal lower extremity DVT with a simple two-point examination. Experience has shown that this approach is both sensitive and specific in the clinical setting.
This online presentation includes audio, demonstrations, instructional methods, and examples.
Authors: R. Eugene Zierler, MD
Audience: Clinical instructors
Run time: 12 minutes, 15 seconds
Upon completing this lesson, the learner will be able to…
- Screening Compression Ultrasound for Lower Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT).
- Describe anatomy of the lower extremity veins.
- Recognize clinical significance and diagnosis of DVT.
- Understand ultrasound features of lower extremity DVT.
- Choose the appropriate technique for compression ultrasound.