The Strategies for Preceptors online training series is made up of four interactive, self-paced learning modules intended for registered nurses (RNs) preparing to precept students, new/novice RNs, or practicing RNs who are new to ambulatory care nursing. Modules were developed through a partnership between Kaiser Permanente-Washington and the University of Washington School of Nursing and are available for free. In addition to the modules, several handouts are included at the bottom of this page that relate to concepts and tools discussed in the modules.
To access these modules, learners must be registered and logged into this website. Click here to register. Click here to log in.
Strategies for Preceptors: Module 1
- Define the role of the preceptor, clinical manager/supervisor, and the learner.
- Identify and summarize Patricia Benner’s Novice to Expert Theory.
- Differentiate styles of learning and utilize methods to identify and address learning needs.
The Art of Precepting: Module 2
- Outline the principles of adult learning and the learning process.
- Identify strategies to establish learner trust.
- Describe how to plan and facilitate the learning experience effectively.
- Practice identifying appropriate learning experiences based on learners’ skill level and experience.
Feedback & Evaluation: Module 3
- Distinguish the vital differences and uses between feedback and evaluation.
- Plan methods to assess and interpret learner performance.
- Devise methods for documenting performance.
The Preceptor’s Toolbox: Module 4
- Describe the importance of goal-setting in the learning environment.
- Identify strategies and tools to enhance clinical learning.
- Describe methods for assuring a smooth preceptorship.
The following handouts may be helpful for preceptors and their preceptees. These include concepts and tools discussed in the modules. Select the links below to view or download copies.
8 Questions to Strengthen Learning (PDF)
Basic Principles: Feedback vs. Evaluation (PDF)
Basic Principles of Feedback (PDF)
Basic Principles of Evaluation (PDF)
Preceptor Tool: One-Minute Preceptor (PDF)
Preceptor Tool: Ask-Tell-Ask-Plan (PDF)
Learner Tool: One-Minute Learner Huddle (PDF)
Learner Tool: SMART Goals (PDF)
This website and these online resources are supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $2,798,890 with 0 percentage financed with non-governmental sources. The contents are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by HRSA, HSS or the U.S. Government.